We got back yesterday morning after a red-eye flight from Kaui with three segments. Not pretty I can assure you. I'm feeling a bit better today, but there are so many things to catch up on. I will take care of this questionnaire, but save the vacation post for another day. This is my first secret pal exchange so it's pretty exciting but I'm so afraid I'll inadvertantly give myself away!
Well, here goes...
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Yes, I guess I am. I prefer natural fibers, but have used the novelty yarns for scarves. I love alpaca and wool. I like the feel of knitted cotton, but it can be hard on my hands. I do like the blends such as in Noro Silk Garden. I haven't tried knitting with pure silk yet, but it's nice in a blend. I also like the cashmerino blends. I do avoid the RH and LB, see, I don't even want to type them out. I'm not interested in glitzy yarns.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I don't spin yet, but see myself learning it someday. I can crochet, but I'm not a big fan of the finished product.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Circs are in a hanging case in my closet, the straights are in a rolled fabric needle case, and the dpns are in little felted moebius basket.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I would say intermediate. I learned as a kid, but didn't do too much. We still have the scarf I made my hubby probably when we were first married almost twenty years ago. I took it up again in dribs and drabs about 8 years ago and started knitting little hats and toys, then a sweater for my daughter. I've gotten more fanatical about it in the last two years and moved from scarves to bigger and more complicated projects. I haven't learned to sew up seams that are beautiful inside and out, so don't think I would be considered advanced.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
For candles, I love spicy cinnamon, pine, and vanilla. My favorite bath product scent is the coconut/lime/verbena from Bath & Body Works.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have a major sweet tooth and love almost anything sweet. My favorite would have to be dark chocolate with almonds.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Quilting (both piecing and applique), of course, and other types of needlework. In the past I've done embroidery, crewel work, counted cross stitch, crochet, and needlepoint. I also do scrapbooking and I love to do all sorts of crafts with my daughter. We'll try almost anything crafty.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I'm pretty flexible, but stay away from heavy metal, rap and punk. I do like bluegrass, oldies, classical, acoustic, and folk. I can play CD's and just got an iPod.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I guess the favorite would be green. I like all greens except neon green. I love the sages, limes, hunters, etc. I like to wear blue, but hardly ever quilt with it. I like yellows and oranges to spice up quilts. I also really like reds and purples. I guess I tend to stay away from pink if anything, even though it's good in small doses to accent other colors.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Hubby, two kids ages 11 and (almost)13 and a small pup.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love scarves. I don't really wear hats unless it's super cold, but I like making them for others. I don't wear mittens too much either though I like them. I would never wear a poncho.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Oh, the choices!!! I love Noro yarns for their colors. I love the cashmerinos (Debbie Bliss and Rowan Cashsoft) for the softness. I love Manos del Uruguay for the colors and felting quality. I love Lorna's Laces sock yarn and shepherd worsted for the colors, softness and washability. Koigu for colors and softness. I'll stop there before I write a dissertation!
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I like the softness of llama, but I hate they way it sheds all over. Maybe I've tried the wrong version, but I wouldn't buy it again. I don't like 100% cotton because it's hard on my hands, but a blend would be fine. I wouldn't like any yarn that has no give, such as linen. I really hate 100% mohair and can't wear mohair or angora. I also don't like anything with texture like boucle that's too hard to knit with. I haven't tried soy or tencel yet.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Felted moebius designs by Cat Bordhi, clapotis (which I just started last week) and the little felted stockings. Also, Noro yarns are really calling my name.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Clapotis has such a wonderful rhythm that I'm really enjoying it. I love making hats because they are so quick. I love the magic of the moebius cast on. I really like short row heels and toes too.
17. What are you knitting right now?
This is getting redundant, but Clapotis, the Roundtrip sweater, fingerless mitts and several socks.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circs for sure!
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Bamboo and my addi turbos.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, and I love them.
22. How did you learn to knit?
Mom taught me. Thanks Mom!
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Yikes, hard to remember, but probably 2 years old.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Birds are my favorite animals (any and all).
25. What is your favorite holiday?
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Hand carved wooden Santas.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, but I regularly pick up IK and occasionally Knitter's. I read VK at the library because it mostly doesn't have patterns that interest me.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Handknit Holidays, Scarf Style, Knitting Vintage Socks. ArtYarns Supermerino, Socks that Rock, DB Alpaca Silk, Fleece Artist, Alchemy.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to learn finishing techniques for garments and techniques that reduce the finishing required! I hate to seam, and I love working in the round.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I'm a size 9.5 medium width and wider than usual calves.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)