Log Cabin Variation
61" x 62"
Techniques: machine piecing, hand applique, machine quilting, hand quilting
Fabrics: old cotton shirts, old cotton flannel pajamas, vintage linens, indigo overdyed linens, new quilting cotton, vintage Pendleton wool shirt
Log Cabin Variation was made for the Central Oregon Modern Quilt Guild's Inspired by Gee's Bend Challenge. I am so pleased with this one! The old fabrics make it super soft and it's just really cuddly. It's also boldly graphic which is fun.
This is machine quilted with grey and the occasional red. I also found two spots where the fabric was very thin (missed them when I was piecing), so I just patched them straight away. These patches are hand appliqued (needle-turn) with invisible stitches. Then I added the red stitches to emphasize them. The red thread is Aurafil 12 wt, color 2260. I got this thread for free in a goody bag at the MQG Sew Down last year I think. It's great for hand stitches!
I did one short line of hand quilting with the red, but needed to get it bound, so haven't done more. I plan to add a few more lines of the red hand stitches before the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. The SOQS will be the first showing of this group of challenge quilts. They will probably show up at the Mt. Bachelor show and QuiltWorks this year too.